Monday, November 29, 2010

Good start?: Mexico hosts COP16 / CMP6 of the UNFCCC

I arrived late in the morning of November 27, 2010 after going through the rigorous experience of getting a visa to Mexico and going through the 20+ hour flight from Entebbe to Cancun.

The Mexican visa process really takes a lot of my time and patience, as I needed to be in touch with the Embassy of Mexico, and follow the instructions mainly by telephone and email.

That aside, I have been able to go through the accreditation with relative easy that has given me a bit of relief and I think that the host country is well prepared to handle the incoming delegates to the Conference, judging from the preparations that have been made.

I am slowly coming to grips with the logistics of this conference: Communication via internet is in the hotel where I am staying is limited to the ground floor / lobby area and is not that fast. Negotiation meetings will take place in Moon Palace and Cancunmesse is also where side events and the exhibit area is located. I can see an element of inaccessibility to the main negotiation meeting place (far from the main Cancun town and is only a single driveway according to those that have explored it).

Apart from this, many meetings are already underway ahead of the official opening of COP16 here in Cancun. According to one delegate, Africa has already had one such meeting over the weekend to harmonize its stand – details of which I am yet to see.

Off to the official opening and side events!

No comments: